Monday, August 13, 2007

Sunny day, summer is slipping away...

For someone like me, who enjoys observing the passing of seasons on nearly a daily basis, it's hard to choose a particular time of year that stands out as a favorite. But in addition to the days of late November, after the leaves fall but before the snow comes, and the bright, colorful days of autumn, and the damp, fragrant days of early spring, I do love August, which I think of as "high summer." The colors of green in the landscape, seen in the tree-covered mountains of New York state, have reached their pinnacle of vibrancy and have begun their dying fall. This always seems to me to happen right around Lammas, coinciding with the time we think of as "harvest" when produce begins ot become plentiful and will be so until October. It is the beginning of abundancy, yet also marks the start of a decline. The fullness and deep green of the leaves will continue to lessen and fade as we journey towards winter. But I try to enjoy each day for its own pleasure.

Some of my most common instances of deja vu happen at this time of year, because I recall so many times as a child being struck by the peacefulness and beauty of these August days, particularly late afternoon, when you could start to smell the scent of barbecue grills on the air (back then it was all charcoal of course), or hear the sound of lawnmowers or sprinklers (nowadays people have noisy weed-whackers too and I do not look forward to the proliferation of leaf blowers a couple of month sfrom now: one of th emost obnoxious and lazy inventions of the 20th century)...I'd also be reminded that these idle afternoons would soon end when I went back to school, and that would make me a bit wistful. Little did I know, the feel of a carefree summer afternoon would become a rarity once I became an adult and entered the working world.

Why is it that so many of us consider August the "end" of summer? I mean, September brings such gorgeous weather, often as hot and sunny as July! I think it is because we all associate it with the few weeks left of "freedom" before going back to school. It's funny how being raised in that timeframe, which follows the seasons so closely and consistently, is a habit and memory that is so hard to shake off after many years/ Of course if you're a teacher it remains the case even more than usual...

Not teaching this summer gave me lots of free time to work on my garden, etc. but I'd have preferred the paycheck! Now that I am going back to work and will be commuting again I am at least thankful I only have to be in Boston for a couple of days instead of four. Should make it easier to continue to get some work done on our house and yard. Other than working outside we have not done much on the indoors this summer. But I have really enjoyed our time spent camping at Brushwood, and having some unstructured days in which to do whatever I want at home, indoors or out. This makes me strongly consider the possibility of trying to work from home once I stop commuting to teach. Being able to work in the garden for a couple of hours each day, and a few hours of work writing or researching, instead of doing some 9 to 5 somewhere, would be a much healthier lifestyle for me, and for T. too, since he only works every fourth day.

Missed the meteor showers last night as it was cloudy, but tonight there may be another chance. I will make fresh peach ice cream today, and do some gardening, and go for a long walk with the dog. Then tonight I will pack us some snacks as we head to the mountains in search in shooting stars. And you, what will you do when you get home from work today?

Here's to the joys of summer and enjoying them in all their sweet languor...

No comments :