Monday, August 13, 2007

Appleless

I found this lovely journal online:

Fairy Tale Review

A piece by Aimee Bender in their "Blue Issue" is called "Appleless" and I thought it would be a lovely thing to share on this blog. I am also adding this journal's link to my list. Oh, and I think I will have to send them some writing.

Here is a sample, visit the website for the rest:

Appleless
Aimee Bender

I once knew a girl who wouldn't eat apples. She wove her walking around groves and orchards. She didn't even like to look at them. They're all mealy, she said. Or else too cheeky, too bloomed. No, she stated again, in case we had not heard her, our laps brimming with Granny Smiths and Red Deliciouses. With Galas and Spartans and yellow Golden Globes. But we had heard her, from the very first; we just couldn't help offering again. Please, we pleaded, eat. Cracking our bites loudly, exposing the dripping wet white inside.

It's unsettling to meet people who don't eat apples.

No comments :