Tuesday, March 18, 2008

RIP Anthony Minghella

I was shocked to learn he died. Only 54 years old, from complications after a simple surgery.

This is very sad. He was such an amazing filmmaker. I love Truly, Madly, Deeply, and The English Patient, and The Talented Mr. Ripley, and even Breaking and Entering. I have only seen part of Cold Mountain but I did like it a lot.

He accomplished so much in his 54 years. The world of cinema is a richer place with him in it. Rest well, sir.

Arthur C. Clarke also died. But, as he was 90, and this is a very ripe old age, I do not feel so badly. But he, too, was an accomplished artist. The world of possible words and dreams has grown smaller.

1 comment :

Dave Coulter said...

I hadn't seen Minghella's films, but I'd heard they were quite good. I posted about Arthur Clarke also....