Friday, January 4, 2008

More Cloisters photos




Here are some more images from our lovely day at the Cloisters at Samhain. Here is Rosanna next to the courtyard fountain, and both of us by a jasmine bush at the cafe garden. Most of the photos we took that day are not of each other, but they're the ones with the most character, it seems. Maybe because they have more "life" than what I consider the often-flat image one gets in digital snaps.
I am still new to using a digital camera, and the lack of artistry and control is hard for me. But hopefully I will continue to get better at it and start taking some nicer photos. It is certainly cheaper and way more versatile than my old 1964 Pentax Spotmatic.
The cost of developing and processing 35mm film these days is turning photography into an even more expensive hobby than it used to be. But what can I say? I am an analog gal in a digital world.

3 comments :

Chas S. Clifton said...

I bit that particular bullet a while ago: sold the Spotmatic and two Pentax K1000s to an eager young photographer who wants to be film-centric for a while.

And I bought a Pentax K100D digital SLR that takes my old Pentax lenses. Big investment, but it was time for the change. As you say, if you don't have darkroom access -- and I no longer do -- film photographer becomes too expensive.

Peg said...

ooh you sold your Spotmatic! I love them. Mine is a bit rickety at times and I'd love to get another one someday...I bought it at a now-closed shop in Harvard Square which had been there for decades, and Steve Croft (of 60 Minutes) admired the camera I was debating about getting and told me stories about his first Spotmatic and how it got stolen in Vietnam...he replaced it, and was actually in the shop buying batteries for it. Since I was replacing a stolen camera myself, I decided I had to get it. On he way out of the shop he stopped again and said he was glad I'd decided to get it and wished me luck with it...

I would love to learn darkroom photography developing. I don't have a space here, though, except my damp basement...

Chas S. Clifton said...

When I was doing newspaper work, I loved playing in the darkroom. After I left journalism for academia, however, I just was not committed enough to setting up my own. Digital is good.