Thursday, November 22, 2007

Giving thanks for beautiful food


Ah, the holiday of food and family and cultural imperialism!

Let us all be thankful for the abundant riches we enjoy in our daily lives, and think on those who have little on this day.

After eating too many snacks (why do we always put out so many nibbles on this day when most people are already starving for the real meal?), I had a meal that was mostly microwaved or ersatz (fake butter, storebought rolls, pre-made potatoes)...although the turkey was very nice as was the stuffing. I can understand why someone who's made a huge family meal for many years wanting to make it easier, but the difference in time and labor is not all that great, is it? I mean, doesn't food just plain taste better if it's made fresh? I guess lots of people don't care or even know the difference--this explains why so many people eat so much fast food. Personally, I appreciate my food more when it is made with care and pleasureable to behold and to eat. Not necessarily fancy, but beautiful and tasty. Here's to real food.

For my contribution, I spent a good deal of time making two desserts from scratch, a pumpkin cheesecake with gingersnap crust and an apple crisp from a Moosewood Cookbook recipe made with locally-grown apples. The cheesecake was a big hit! I saved a couple small pieces for myself to eat tomorrow since I was too full to taste it today. The apple crisp (served warm with French vanilla ice cream) was very tasty but not as popular, and the leftovers from both will go to work with my sweetie.

I will go for an extra long walk and maybe hit the Nordic Track tomorrow to work off all the calories. I never used to be one of those folks who worried about holiday overeating but this year I want to be careful not to overindulge. I also want to focus on real and fresh food, over tasteless or artificial crap which is always in abundance at the holidays. Time to start making nice winter-hearty soups.

We had friends visiting from out of town and took them to Indian Ladders, which they loved. Bought some local sausage and honey. Most of our local apples are gone so I will enjoy the few we have left and hope to get more soon. The orchards have a few winter and holiday events planned, it'd be nice to attend. Eating local foods in winter is a challenge worth pursuing. Next year at this time I hope to be growing my own Brussells sprouts.

Hail the bounty of the earth!

No comments :